Tales from the Broke Bride

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cold Snap

As I said before, when it's the coldest winter you've seen in your lifetime, and you're living in a tiny "house" with literal paper walls, heating becomes paramount. Heat comes from the propane tanks that are hooked up to the trailer. They are larger than a normal propane tank that you might have for your outdoor grill, but when it's cold as a well digger's shovel outside, the heat runs constantly, and you can run out of propane very quickly. When you run out of propane, several things happen.
First, you don't want to get out of bed. Oh, yeah, the propane will ALWAYS run out in the middle of the night. You won't want to get out of bed because it's the only warm spot in your whole house.
Second, you'll get miserable and angry because you're freezing, but still have to go to work. I am not Elsa from Frozen.
You're insane.
Third, when, for reasons like procrastination or forgetfulness, you don't called the RV park office to get your propane tanks refilled, your water pipes can freeze. That means you have no water.
It's just a bad scenario all around.
Sometimes, however, you just aren't home to know your propane tanks ran out in the first place. This happened to me in March. Ross and I had gone to Aggieland, that is, College Station (WHOOP) to take our engagement photos. While we were leaving to come home on Sunday, a crazy cold front came through North Texas. We literally drove on ice for miles on the way back. When we got closer to Dallas, and road workers had spread sand on the roads, and we made better time, but a 3 hour trip took us about 5 hours total. By the time I got home, the temperatures had dropped significantly. I think it was 12 degrees out. When I park outside my trailer, I run in expecting to be greeted by a purring cat and warm, snuggly air. WRONG!
The propane tanks had run out while I was gone! This is what I came home to instead:


Icicles from my faucets and ice in the toilet. That's how cold it was inside my trailer. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. Luckily, I remembered and got my propane tanks refilled the next day and made it nice and toasty when I got home from work. Which was good because the icicles may have gotten as big as the ones outside:

Brrrrrrr!!!!

May you ALWAYS be warm when it's cold out (and procrastinate very little),
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment